What you’ll do
In a few words…
Responsibilities include direct management of software engineers, strategic planning, product definition, managing operational challenges at scale, project management for software within the team, and quality of the software development process in an agile environment. Additionally, as our organization is growing, hiring top-notch engineers will be a key focus. The fundamentals for the job…
- Providing technical leadership, guidance, and support in the development and deployment of complex mobile and hosted web applications
- Assisting in the definition of product requirements and for the creation of high-level architectural specifications, ensuring feasibility, functionality, and integration with existing systems and services
- Leading the definition and documentation of development best practices, processes, and methodologies
- Balancing the creation of value with the management of risk through design
- Cultivating and disseminating knowledge of application development best practices
- Taking an active role in cross‐departmental projects when needed
- Guide and mentor engineers
- Researching, investigating, and staying at the forefront of technology (Software Development, Hardware, Programming Languages, etc.);
- Directing research on emerging applications’ software development products, languages, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts
- Working closely with Product Managers, Business System Analysts, Software Engineers, Testers and users to understand Business and Client needs and create optimal software and technology solutions to address those needs.
What you’re made of
The bold requirements…
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline.
- 5+ years of experience as a software developer
- 3+ years of experience managing software engineers, specifically as part of an agile development environment
- Experience leading multiple engineering teams.
- Prior experience with OO programming in C# or Java is preferred.
- At least five or more years working with web based systems.
- Experience with service oriented architecture (SOAP vs RESTful)
- Firm understanding of MVC web applications – we use ASP.NET MVC, AngularJS and Bootstrap.
- Interest working with relational and non-relational data, SQL is a must, and bonus points for experience with SQL Server.
- A proven track record of leading the delivery of working software while collaborating with end users.
- Established expertise in developer tools or software development lifecycle (SDLC) systems (continuous integration, version control, source code repositories, build systems, package management, deployment tools, test frameworks, etc.)
- Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
That something extra we´d love to see…
1. Collaborator: You're a collaborator through and through, ever on a quest to find (or generate) harmony and consensus. You don’t enjoy conflict, preferring to seek areas of mutual agreement. You inherently understand that a good deal is, essentially, when everyone walks away a tiny bit peeved.
2. Driven: You know how to juggle/manage multiple priorities without missing deadlines. You measure yourself against everyone, and strive to win first place in everything.
3. Planner: You enjoy discipline, routine and structure. Your world is best described as a grid and you are very careful when making decisions. You anticipate obstacles to avoid them, not to rain on everyone’s parade.
4. Innovator: You constantly engender unexpected ideas; your factory of pure genius just doesn’t run out. Fascinated with possibilities you are, in turn, fascinating yourself. You plainly see or figure out connections between seemingly disparate phenomena à la A beautiful mind. It is a child’s game to you.
5. Thoughtful: You are intrigued by the unique qualities (or eccentricities) in each person and have a flair for figuring out how very different folk can work together productively towards some lofty end, as opposed to bringing out the worst in each other.
The above description is not intended to limit the scope of the job or to exclude other duties not mentioned. It is absolutely not a final set of specifications for the position. It’s simply meant to give readers an idea of what the role entails